Job title: Ashford Mediation Service Trustee
The duties of trustees are:
- To ensure that the charity complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that the charity pursues its charitable objectives as defined in its governing document.
- To ensure that the charity applies its resources exclusively in furtherance of its objects, ie the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities are.
- To contribute to the board of trustees role of giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of the charity.
- To ensure effective and efficient administration of the charity.
- To ensure financial stability of the charity.
- In addition to the statutory duties of all trustees, each trustee should use any specific knowledge or experience he or she may have to help the board reach sound decisions. This will involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, and providing advice and guidance requested by the board on new initiatives or other issues relevant to the area of the charity’s work in which the trustee has special expertise.